[Setup-tool-hackers] Location management

Greetings,

I just committed some changes to the location management system to fix
some problems with XST backends. Things are working pretty well for me
right now. I have also hacked the XST backends to archive their data
with the Ximian archiver and added a couple of relevant command line
options (i.e. --location and --no-archive).

If you would like to test this out, you have my blessing. The program is
in the XST module under archiver/location-manager-capplet. It is not
built by default, so you'll need to create the Makefiles manually with
the commands "automake archiver/location-manager-capplet/Makefile;
CONFIG_FILES=archiver/location-manager-capplet/Makefile ./config.status"
You may use this with either the per-user capplets or the system-wide
Ximian Setup Tools. In the latter case, you should pass the argument
"-g" to the program. If you are working per-user, the relevant data are
stored in $HOME/.gnome/ximian-config, while system-wide data are
archived in /etc/ximian-config.

If you have trouble and things do not work, please send me the following
information:

First, see if you have a $HOME/.gnome/ximian-config/ (or
/etc/ximian-config)  Under this directory, you should find a default/
directory, plus one directory per location you have created. It should
also contain a file called config with an entry indicating what your
current location is. Each directory should have config.log,
location.xml, and one or more files of the form 0000000x.xml, where x is
a hex digit. If you have trouble, please send me all of those files,
preferably by tarring up $HOME/.gnome/ximian-config/  Also let me know
exactly what you did, step by step, and, if there are any messages that
were printed out on the console, please send those to me as well.

Please be very specific in reporting problems; archiving these data is a
non-trivial process during which many things may go wrong, so I need to
know exactly where the chain is broken to be able to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
-Bradford Hovinen

We are most probably here for local information-gathering and
local-Universe problem-solving in support of the integrity of
eternally regenerative Universe.

   -- R. Buckminster Fuller