Re: [Snowy] [tomboy-list] snowy authorization problems (and how to fix them)

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Christian Betz<christian betz gmail com> wrote:
> I followed the INSTALL in Snowy for the most part. I am on ubuntu 9.04
> and was able to apt-get install all dependencies except pytz (had to
> use easy_install for that one). I just wanted to add in a very
> important item that is missing:
>
> You need to Add a consumer via the Django Admin Panel. Go to
> http://localhost:8000/admin and 'Add a Consumer'. Previous emails on
> this list indicated that the credentials were a mix of
> abcdefg/1234567.  It took some digging around in the actual code for
> the addin to discover this has been changed. Currently you have to use
> anyone/anyone/anyone for name/key/secret. (NOTE: I am using the latest
> snowy and tomboy from git)

If you are using Django 1.1, this consumer key/secret pair should be
added automatically when you run manage.py syncdb.  When you run that
command, I believe you'll see a message about a fixture from
"api/fixtures/initial_data.json" being applied.  What version of
Django are you using?

By the way, I announced the anyone/anyone change yesterday on
snowy-list [0], where we try to keep snowy-specific conversation.  I
probably should have CC'd tomboy-list, sorry.  But if you're playing
with snowy, you should probably join that list.  ;-)

>  I was really thrown for a loop because I thought I would be able to
> set the consumer/key/secret in a preferences window (via the Addin
> preferences dialog). I spent some time figuring out why the
> 'Preferences' button was greyed out. Is there supposed to be a
> settable preference for this (someday)?

This is not configurable right now.  I guess a hidden gconf preference
wouldn't hurt, but there is absolutely no use case for changing this
right now, so I don't intend to add it.  If you read the snowy-list
email [1], you'll see that supporting anyone/anyone is now part of the
web sync spec (though I haven't documented it yet).  If you've got an
idea for why it should be configurable, please let me know.

So far, no sync add-ins have preferences that are accessed via the
Add-in tab.  They are all completely configured in the Sync tab.
Maybe we should make that button active, and have it change tabs?  I
can see how that would be confusing.

> I have attached a patch to snowy's INSTALL for a developer to peruse
> and apply if they so choose ;)

We should add a step encouraging users to double-check it, but I'd
still like to know why it didn't automatically work for you (like it
does for me in Django 1.1).

> Last but not least: Great work. I've been waiting for an online Tomboy forever!

Thanks!  With everybody's help, we should be able to have this up at
tomboy-online.org in no time.  :-)

Sandy