[Shotwell] Reset library.

I have Shotwell 0.28.2 running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver).
I have several thousand pictures in a particular location on my hard disk which I want to manage with Shotwell. However, I've made various mistakes while learning Shotwell, such as pointing it at the wrong location on my disk, and I want to clean it out and start again.

I saved and deleted the database in ~/.local/share/shotwell/data and started it up again. It immediately started auto-importing my pictures again. How do I stop it doing that and where does it find the information to know where to auto-import stuff from?

I want to
a) Remove the database and any configurations that might be around.
b) Start up Shotwell and set the Library location to the location of my photos on disk.
c) Import all the photos from that same location.

It seems odd to me that Shotwell, by default, moves images from the import location to the library. It would seem more sensible to leave the files where they are, by default, and build the database pointing to the import location. As it is I seem to have to trick Shotwell into leaving the images where they are by setting the import location to the library location.  There doesn't seem to be a configuration option to stop Shotwell moving the files.

Thanks,

Cliff