Re: [Shotwell] shotwell-book: A new project that allows you to create a PDF photo book from your Shotwell library

I see.  Yes, nautilus-sendto won't solve this problem, nor will Contractor as far as I understand it.

Internally we've discussed some approaches to opening up Shotwell to other applications.  Some ideas we've bounced around:

* A command-line interface, as Norbert suggested.
* A more generic plugin model.  Our current plugin interfaces are geared toward specific tasks, like pushing photos to a web service.
* shotwelld, a Shotwell D-bus daemon.
* libshotwell, a Shotwell library for interacting with the database.

Of all of these, I would say that the CLI is probably the easiest.  For ease of development, I would suggest the shotwell binary itself double as the CLI.  If Shotwell is not executing, it will perform the operation and exit.  If Shotwell is already running, the CLI will hand the operation off to the existing process and exit.  This ensures database coherency.

Finally, unrelated question - what is the current status wrt to
shotwell and Pantheon? I am very uncertain where to invest time
and patches, as there was the announcement that Panthenon will
be the successor of shotwell, but it somehow never took of.

Pantheon Photos does *not* supersede Shotwell.  I readily admit Photos has more development hands on it, but Shotwell is not dead.  Shotwell continues to be a photo manager designed for the GNOME Desktop.

I would love it if the community would step up and provide more patches and help triage bugs.  As long as there's community interest, Shotwell will continue to grow.

-- Jim