Re: Big problems with keyring and Seahorse

Adam Schreiber wrote:
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 gmail com> wrote:
Adam Schreiber wrote:
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 gmail com>
wrote:

 I can no longer get my Intrepid to boot up in WiFi and my Jaunty
requires
me to use my main password to bring up WiFi. I believe Seahorse is the
cause
of millions of users problems with NetworkManager. I am suffering right
now
with it.

 I joined this list to talk to the people doing Seahorse. I want to learn
how to disable Seahorse right now. Then if it can help I will turn it
back
on and see what happens.

 Please tell me how to turn off Seahorse on Intrepid and Jaunty Ubuntu
Linux

I can't tell you how to turn off seahorse because it's a key and
password manager and not a persistant daemon.  While neither
seahorse-agent, a caching daemon similar to gpg-agent, or
seahorse-daemon, a DBus provider of key information, would cause the
problems you described.  The simplest way to rule it out is to sudo
apt-get remove seahorse seahorse-plugins because Ubuntu has tied their
initiation into it's GNOME session.

  I am on my laptop now and the system is Jaunty with Gnome.  I did the
remove seahorse and as you predicted the system still has keyring problems
just like before.

  Here is the error message the keyring panel has:

     The application 'NetworkManager Appelt' (/usr/bin/nm-applet) wants
access to the default keyring, but it is locked.

You should then be prompted for the unlock password.

  I know that nm-applet is a binary file.  I have no idea where the default
keyring is located. And finally I know nothing about seahorse or keyrings
and have never used them except when forced to by error problems.

The keyrings are stored in ~/.gnome2/keyrings .  If you've installed
libpam-gnome-keyring, you should see  login.keyring and user.keystore.
   I did not install libpam-gnome-keyring.
 If you migrated from an older version of Ubuntu you might see
default.keyring.  PAM is looking to unlock the login keyring with your
user password when you login.

   I did not migrate from an older version.
Please include the list with your replies (hit reply all instead of reply).

Cheers,

Adam
Hi Adam another user told me about /home/karl/.gnome2/keyrings and when I delete keyrings it caused my broken 8.10 Ubuntu to then ask for new passwords. Now it is working again and I have a method to fix the 8.10 and Jaunty WiFi by deleting the keyring directory.

This is fine and now both 8.10 and 9.04 Ubuntu are broken but working again. I deleted seahorse from 9.04.

I want to delete all of keyring and seahorse so my NetworkManager will work properly. I think both software packages are incomplete and buggy. They cause me and all users of Ubuntu a lot of trouble. I believe today close to 100% of the reported WiFi problems are really keyring problems. I think I can prove this.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User