Re: Big problems with keyring and Seahorse

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 gmail com> wrote:
> Adam Schreiber wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 gmail com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>  I can no longer get my Intrepid to boot up in WiFi and my Jaunty
>>> requires
>>> me to use my main password to bring up WiFi. I believe Seahorse is the
>>> cause
>>> of millions of users problems with NetworkManager. I am suffering right
>>> now
>>> with it.
>>>
>>>  I joined this list to talk to the people doing Seahorse. I want to learn
>>> how to disable Seahorse right now. Then if it can help I will turn it
>>> back
>>> on and see what happens.
>>>
>>>  Please tell me how to turn off Seahorse on Intrepid and Jaunty Ubuntu
>>> Linux
>>>

>> I can't tell you how to turn off seahorse because it's a key and
>> password manager and not a persistant daemon.  While neither
>> seahorse-agent, a caching daemon similar to gpg-agent, or
>> seahorse-daemon, a DBus provider of key information, would cause the
>> problems you described.  The simplest way to rule it out is to sudo
>> apt-get remove seahorse seahorse-plugins because Ubuntu has tied their
>> initiation into it's GNOME session.
>>

>   I am on my laptop now and the system is Jaunty with Gnome.  I did the
> remove seahorse and as you predicted the system still has keyring problems
> just like before.
>

>   Here is the error message the keyring panel has:
>
>      The application 'NetworkManager Appelt' (/usr/bin/nm-applet) wants
> access to the default keyring, but it is locked.

You should then be prompted for the unlock password.

>   I know that nm-applet is a binary file.  I have no idea where the default
> keyring is located. And finally I know nothing about seahorse or keyrings
> and have never used them except when forced to by error problems.

The keyrings are stored in ~/.gnome2/keyrings .  If you've installed
libpam-gnome-keyring, you should see  login.keyring and user.keystore.
 If you migrated from an older version of Ubuntu you might see
default.keyring.  PAM is looking to unlock the login keyring with your
user password when you login.

Please include the list with your replies (hit reply all instead of reply).

Cheers,

Adam