Re: Question about Seahorse and GnuPG

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:
> - Integrate Seahorse without GnuPG/GPGME support.  What features of
>   Seahorse do not work if you build Seahorse in this way?  Is there
>   any documentation which explains this?

This shouldn't be too much of a problem considering that gpg and
gpgme's interfaces haven't changed in a while.  All of the plugins
depend on gpg and gpgme though so they wouldn't build.  The only keys
that would show up under 'My Personal Keys' are ssh keys you own.
'Trusted Keys' and 'Other Collected Keys' will be blank.

> - Consider integrating Seahorse with an older version of GnuPG
>   which is under the older GPLv2 license.  This might make Seahorse
>   more functional, but this approach would get complicated if we
>   find we need to fix bugs or add features in the future to support
>   Seahorse or other programs.  We'd basically have to support a
>   forked version of GnuPG.

True.

> - Perhaps Sun should use the latest gnome-keyring module, but the
>   older gnome-keyring-manager module.  Are there any advantages to
>   going this direction?  Would it even be possible?

You would lose the ability to change the password on g-k-r keyrings
and the ability to manage/create ssh keys graphically.

Cheers,

Adam