Re: dead code related to fast user switching

Hey Matthias,

On 1/17/07, Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> wrote:
Hi William,

I started to look at the fast user switching code in gnome-screensaver,
and noticed that there is code left to deal with a __new_user entry
in the users list, but the code to insert that entry is long gone.

Should the remaining bits of __new_user support be stripped out,
reintroduced or handled in a different way (e.g. a "New User" button) ?

Well, I guess one of the reasons why it is still there is that I'm
still not certain what we should do :)

I guess now that we have ConsoleKit we should take a step back and try
to think about how user switching should work as a workflow.

The design we have currently is a mishmash of the darwin and windows
models of user switching and has been driven, mostly, by design
limitations in our stack (eg. gdm, X, kernel, etc) and our inability
to make hard choices about what our system is or does.

So, I'd really like to do some brainstorming and get some input from
design minded folks.

That said, I'm a bit allergic to the idea of asking for another user's
password (a la darwin) within the session, for security reasons.  So,
I'm leaning toward something more like the windows approach.  If we go
this way then we may not want to have a user list on the screensaver
dialog at all...

What do you think?

Jon