Re: dead code related to fast user switching

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 11:29 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:

> So, I'd really like to do some brainstorming and get some input from
> design minded folks.
>
> That said, I'm a bit allergic to the idea of asking for another user's
> password (a la darwin) within the session, for security reasons.  So,
> I'm leaning toward something more like the windows approach.  If we go
> this way then we may not want to have a user list on the screensaver
> dialog at all...
>
> What do you think?

I'm not really sure what the os x/win32 approaches to user switching
are, and how they differ from what we have. Maybe you can outline them
a bit, as the starting point for this discussion ?

The one argument I see for keeping the user list in the lock dialog is
that it is currently very slow to get to the gdm login screen, due to
vt switching, X server startup, and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm currently working on a gdm patch to make it possible to
pick the user in the lock dialog/applet, and then have the login screen
come up asking for the password. The current situation where you pick
a user in the lock dialog and then have to enter the username again
in the lock dialog is just absurd.

Matthias