Re: Welcome

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 13:02 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> > What is consensus on this staggered idea?
>
> OK, so this is one of the liminal regions.  The question is who should
> be doing what.  This gets even more interesting when you think about
> multiple sessions and/or users.

Sure, but I'm tending to concentrate more on the single user system (or
console user system) than true multiple user situations. I'm assuming
dbus will lock down who can do what, and that g-p-m won't be installed
on servers. Laptops users basically....

> My view is that totem should not care about anything outside the scope
> of the desktop session.  The screensaver, for the most part, exists
> entirely within the scope of the session.  The scope of power management
> is not entirely within the session.  Therefore, totem should disable the
> session behavior: screensaver activation.  In fact, it already does this
> [1].

Okay, cool.

> I also think that the power management should not activate until every
> session becomes idle [2].

Sure, see above.

>   In this case, g-p-m should not do anything
> until it receives the ActiveChanged message on the session bus.  Then it
> should start counting down for the configured actions if any.

Okay, that sounds most sane.

> What do you think?

Sounds like a plan!

Cheers,