Re: Welcome

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 17:22 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:

> > Another idea is maybe some contest for screensaver authors to get some
> > high quality screensavers and a default screensaver for GNOME 2.14
>
> One goal is to create an architecture that will foster the development
> of new and exiting screensaver themes.  However, I want this development
> to take place outside of gnome-screensaver.
>
> One way we can do this is by simplifying what it means to be a
> screensaver theme.  The first step was to do away with vroot hacking and
> simply rely on an environment variable to find the window to draw to.
>
> Another way we do this is to use common .desktop files to install new
> themes.
>
> Also, separating the theme-engine from the theme will allow for the
> sharing of theme-engines among multiple themes (eg. the slideshow engine
> is used by multiple themes).
>
> So, I support the independent development of new themes.  It would be
> nice to see screensaver themes on art.gnome.org at some point.

we might want to define the API for screensavers and provide it in a
libgnome-screensaver library.

As we already talked weeks ago, it would be nice to have a
GnomeScreensaver class that provided the common implementation plus
entry points for all that needs to be implemented by screensavers.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo novell com>