Re: Documentation for starting custom.el customisation

On Thursday 24 March 2011 15:18:19 Andrew A. Adams wrote:
> So, I've got a VERY old custom.el which does things which I set up about ten
> years ago, maybe more, when sawfish was the default Gnome WM. I'd like to
> update this to work more appropriately with the latest version and to fix a
> few niggles (like the focus which is now much more sophisticated and
> sort-of works for some of the things I want but some of them it doesn't
> work well). While I am a Lisp programmer, though not much of an active one,
> crafting things to customise the system requires knowledge not just of Lisp
> but of the hooks for things like mouse and keyboard events. Is there a good
> set of documentation for the common hooks that people might want to use to
> change default behaviour on things like particular mouse clicks (one of the
> things that doesn't work properly at the moment is distinction between
> button-down and button-up which doesn't seem to have been a distinction
> when my custom.el was written.

Button-Down = Click
Button-Up = Off

eg: Button1-Click / Button1-Off

> I have looked around the wikia page a bit
> but there doesn't seem to be a basic starting set of documentation for
> custom.el writing. If the more experienced developers could provide this, I
> think it would be a great way to get people into programming sawfish and
> possibly lead to extra developers getting involved.

The problem is the lack of time and possible writers, I'd say.

Either way you'll check the FAQ, KEYBINDINGS, USERGUIDE (incomplete) and
OPTIONS (mostly up-to-date) files in the Sawfish source-tree, maybe you'll find
them usefull.