Re: rename-window change

Am Sat, 23 Oct 2010 15:34:06 +0900 (JST)
schrieb Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 15:30:30 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Teika suggested rename-window to rewrite _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME rather
> > than _NET_WM_NAME. But: this does have no effect here.
>
> Theory first: Ewmh specifies that _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME is set by the
> WM if the WM "changes" a window's name, like "xterm <1>". On the other
> hand, WM_NAME and _NET_WM_NAME are set by clients, not WMs, but
> rename-window breaks this. It is implied pagers should respect
> _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME over WM_NAME / _NET_WM_NAME. (Ewmh says "allowing
> pager to display...")
>
> Your observation shows that GNOME / KDE / ... pagers (you mean
> trayers?)

Pagers.

> don't follow ewmh, i.e., they've got a bug. It's too hackish
> to check the DE and change the behavior to kill their bug in Sawfish
> (javascript?). Anyway DE check is not a safe detection of trayers.

Right, but I thought "better than nothing".

> Sawfish is already breaking ewmh in this respect, too, so simply
> adding _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME suffices here, as a practical solution.

Yep, I know we break it. I don't understand why the user isn't allowed to change the name
of a window. Of course it's useless for stuff like media-players or browsers, but for
others it might help.

> So please revert 3b72e3. Anyway it can't be included in 1.7.1.
> A strict solution is more difficult. (I don't enlarge on it now.)

Well since you finally got me, I'll release 1.7.0.1 today and adjust the function in 1.7.1

> Ah, which was ineffective exactly? _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME only, or
> _NET_WM_NAME either?

_VISIBLE_NAME was completely ineffective, _NET_WM_NAME was adopted by Sawfish.

But I haven't checked whether SawfishPager accepts _VISIBLE_NAME

> Thank you very much for your work.
> Teika (Teika kazura)

Regards,