Re: Error running Sawfish-ui on Ubuntu

On Fri, 7 May 2010 20:57:26 +0200
Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:

> Am Fri, 7 May 2010 19:46:23 +0100
> schrieb Grant Sewell <dcglug thymox co uk>:
>

> > I've installed the following from the Ubuntu repo's:
> > sawfish			1:1.3.5.2-1ubuntu1
> > sawfish-data		1:1.3.5.2-1ubuntu1
> > sawfish-dbg		1:1.3.5.2-1ubuntu1
> > sawfish-lisp-source	1:1.3.5.2-1ubuntu1
> > sawfish-merlin-ugliness	1.3.1-1
> > sawfish-pager		0.6a-3
> > sawfish-themes		0.12
> > librep9			0.90.2-1
> > rep-gtk			1:0.90.0-2
> >

> … Ubuntu doesn't support Sawfish and therefore the packages are
> totally outdated

I know, it sucks.

I used to love Sawfish's flexibility - after a brief encounter with KDE
and Gnome in Mandrake 7+ I settled with Sawfish and kept it going for
several years, eventually loosing touch with it in ~2003 when I
installed Debian.  Recent conversation on my local LUG
(www.dcglug.org.uk) about alternative Window Managers has brought back
some fond memories and renewed interest (on my part).

> The problem is pretty simple: the installed versions of rep-gtk and
> sawfish are incompatible. rep-gtk 0.90.0 requires atleast Sawfish
> 1.5.2, so this is not really surprising me, though ugly for users
> like you, who may think, it's our fault.

I've been around Linux long enough to not point fingers and place
blame quite so quickly.  I was tempted to install the lot from source
but when I tried to install librep from source it kept complaining
about missing gmp... installed what I thought was the correct package
from the Ubuntu repo's but it still complained at the ./configure
stage.  I didn't really want to then find gmp and install that from
source too, and anything that relied on... I started with Debian to get
away from dependency issues like this.

> So you may start with trying our recent (and compatible) releases.

I'll give it another shot after trying Mario's patch suggestion.

Grant.