Re: Please test this apps-menu.jl fix

On 3/19/2010 1:18 PM, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
Am Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:45:12 +0900 (JST)
schrieb Teika Kazura<teika lavabit com>:

Hi, I fixed the case for 'R'. Please test the attached file. I've got
relatively few *.desktop files.

Procedure:
1. Save the file somewhere.
2. $ sawfish-client -e '(load "/absol/path/apps-menu") (update-apps-menu)'
3. See the applications menu. If it looks ok, then it must be ok.
    (I.e. you don't have to run all.:)

I fixed one more. Previously, whitespaces around eqaulity sign were
not allowed. I don't have any instance of such *.desktop file, though.

*Please* report us the result, even if there's no problem. Tests by 5
persons will be enough. I think it's correct, but don't want to ship
it without testing.

If you like it, you can replace the installed one under
/usr/share/sawfish.

Thank you,
Teika (Teika kazura)

It's working here (and not breaking anything), so I'll commit it, though I would
like to have some more tests before release this time. (I've got 96 .desktop files,
but none hit those corner cases).

Chris

I tested this as well, with the R .desktop file and works well for me!

Another thing I have just noticed is that a whitespace or a commented line at the beginning of the .desktop file will cause apps-menu to skip that file, thinking it is not a desktop file at all because the first line is not the standard [Desktop Entry]\n line. This will not break sawfish, but just skips that file. I have one desktop file like this (with a space at the begining), and while I have contacted the package maintainer to correct the bad file, it might be a good idea to allow comments or blank lines at the beginning of the desktop files, as long as the first non-comment, non-blank line is indeed the [Desktop Entry]\n line. If you all think this is a good addition to making the apps-menu more versatile, I can try to add that in there.

cheers

matthew