Re: how to get a structure/module tree?

Guten tag, Clemens.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:53:54 +0100, clemens fischer wrote:
> My original problem is very simple:
> Do I need to start off my ~/.sawfish/rc file with "(require
> 'apps-menu)"?  I want to set the symbol user-apps-menu.

(define-special-variable user-apps-menu value) does.  It's defvar +
setq. Like emacs lisp, defvar doesn't change the value if it's already
bound. But d-s-v always sets the value. In librep, defvar at the same
time declares it's dynamically scoped. (I often say "it's global", but
good programmers may frown. ;)

> Is there a tool giving a tree of modules, maybe starting with the
> assumption that all exported symbols are required by the user?

So probably you don't need it, but as far as I know, no. (But boundp
can be used.)

> Also:  to start an xterm, do I define a menu entry with
>
>     ("_xterm" (system "xterm &"))
>
> or better:
>
>     ("_xterm" (run-shell-command "xterm &))?

Use 'system'. 'Command' in Sawfish is what's bindable to key / mouse
event. They have different namespace from functions. (You can't run a
function by key / mouse unless there's a wrapper command.)
run-shell-command is a command wrapper of 'system' function, and it
has a configurator support; when you choose that command in the
configurator, you can enter the shell command name.

Glad you're intersted in Sawfish.

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)