Re: Renaming 'grow, pack, shrink & yank'?

 Teika> Hi.
 Teika> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:01:29 +0200, Timo Korvola wrote:
 >> Tiling is done with objects of identical shape (or a couple of different
 >> shapes, e.g., in semiregular tilings) and filling the area completely.

 Teika> I understand what you mean, but the word "tiling window manager" seems
 Teika> accepted, and it's not restricted to the identical pieces. I guess
 Teika> (I've never tried them ;) it means the entire screen is sectioned into
 Teika> windows without overlapping, or if there ares overlaps, it is done is
 Teika> some smart way.
 Teika> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiling_window_manager

Thinking aloud... why can't we divide the viewport into workspaces? So
instead of each workspace expected to be at least as small as the
viewport, why not have the ability to divide the screen into workspaces,
and apply operations such as maximization/tiling/etc at workspace level?

--dmg

 >> at least to one with a math background

 Teika> Eh, math has nothing to do with WM. Otherwise, "kernel module" needs a
 Teika> mapping and a ring, and "network topology" an open set system.
 Teika> # Anyway only finite computers are connected.

 Teika> Teika (Teika kazura)

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/