Re: error--> (file-error "No such file or directory" "rep/data/tables")

On date Saturday 2010-12-04 08:26:30 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek opened this window:
> Sawfish: 1.3.5.2
> librep: 0.90.2
>
> There are some issues with your configuration:
>
> a) those version are out-of-date (especially sawfish)
> b) those versions of librep and sawfish are incompatible
> c) also your rep-gtk version might be out-of-date
> d) because of a) sawfish can't be linked to your currently installed rep
>
> long story short:
> update librep, rep-gtk, sawfish, sawfish-pager manually (in that order) or try
> installing Sawfish from Debian/Experimental or Unstable (one of them ships 1.6
> at least).

Hi Roy,

first of all thank you so much for your answer, I wasn't going to figure out all this
not even in a week. So this also means that sawfish in Debian Testing - Squeeze
is currently broken (and painfully outdated).

BTW I wonder why do we have so many different repos (sawfish, sawfish-pager,
librep, librep-gtk), I suggest to have just a single repo containing all of
them, this should also help to fix incompatibilities conflicts and greatly ease
installation from source.

That's exactly the scheme that we're following in FFmpeg, one repo containing
all the applications (ffmpeg, ffplay, etc.), and all the libraries (libavutil,
libavcore, libavcodec, etc.).
Each library has a different version number, when we break binary compability
(which happens very seldom), we bump major number so we allow different
incompatible shared libs to be used at the same time in the system.
Note that the library versioning has nothing to do with releases, but
only reflects the ABI/API state of the library.

Then it's a problem of the packager to create different packages for each
distinct component.

Regards.