Re: Compilation Issue

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 07:01:11 +0100, zanghar freenet de wrote:
> > Does invoking sawfish 1.7.0 with --5-buttons fix the issue?
>
> What's supported is keyboard "group" switching, by ISO_Next_Group or
> so, bound to some key, for example ctrl + alt. If you need it, Andrew,
> then you have to get the source from the git repository, or its snapshot
> tarball. (See the wiki "Download" page:
> http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Download )

When I get a chance I'll grab the latest tarball and try it out (now I'm
fairly sure it will compile :-)).

> If you prefer, say, US layout, then choosing "US layout" mostly works,
> I think, even if what you've got is a Japanese keyboard. (Some keys don't.)

My laptop has a UK keyboard and my external one is Japanese. It's slightly
awkward changing between them, until my fingers get used to the new layout -
then I should be OK. The trouble is that without changing there's no key on
the external keyboard bound to "\" and since one of my main tasks is writing
papers in LaTeX that's a big problem :-).

> If per-window-layout collides with Sawfish, it's probably impossible
> to fix it, sorry.

I'd prefer global change, actually since I'm only using one keyboard at a
time, not trying to use different virtual layouts for different purposes. As
a workaround per-window is better since only text-input windows need the
change making into the current keyboard and out to default (when I want
window control). If I select a different layout on the log-in screen, that
prevents sawfish from providing window control at all, I think - that's what
started me off on fixing the problem.

> After you change the keyboard layout by Gnome tool or so (perhaps
> setxkbmap is invoked internally), a restart is necessary.

Let me check what you mean here. If I run the keyboard configuration tool to
add/remove keyboard, I'd need to re-start sawfish, but just switching between
the options already defined doesn't require a restart.

> Anata wa nihongo o hanashi-masu-ka, Adamusu-san? Atsui desu ne.

(In case mail munges the Japanese characters: sukoshi nihongo dake wo
wakarimasen ne. hai, ima shinuhodo atsui desu ne.)

> (Do you speak Japanese, Adamusu-san? It's hot, eh? :)

It's interesting that when people translate Japanese to English they tend to
leave the Japanese honorifics for names instead of moving to English standard
usage (for instance just using first names instead of surname-san). Not a
criticism, I find myself doing it as well:-).

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa meiji ac jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and