Re: [patch] fdo-menu Re: fdo-menu breaks when LC_ALL unset & code suggestion

Am Sonntag, den 20.09.2009, 06:48 +0200 schrieb Christopher Roy
Bratusek:
> Am Samstag, den 19.09.2009, 12:45 -0600 schrieb Matthew Love:
> > Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi. Matthew, can you fix these?
> > >
> > > 1. The sawfish doesn't run if LC_ALL isn't set. There're several cases.
> > >  a: When LC_ALL is not set at all, then it says:
> > >     error--> (void-value name-string)
> > >  b: When "LC_ALL=", then
> > >     error--> (bad-arg #<subr substring> 2 3)
> > >  c: (maybe a polymorph of b) "LC_ALL=foo",
> > >     error--> (bad-arg #<subr substring> 5 3)
> > >
> > > This seems to differ from what Jeremy reported.
> > >
> > > 2. Code suggestion:
> > > "defvar" and "defun" make globals. For local symbols, could you
> > > replace them with "define", Like (define var-foo), and
> > > (define (foo-func arg1 arg2)) ?
> > >
> > > "unless batch-mode" seems peculiar to me, too, but not sure.
> > >
> > > Gee, fdo-menu is great. Astonishing. Thanks a lot.
> > > Teika (Teika kazura)
> > >

> > I think i got these fixed...let me know if it works for you.
> >
> > - when LC_ALL (or any of the other env variables) are not set, will use
> > dummy string "xx", which will cause the language to use the default.
> >
> > - when "LC_ALL=", or any string less than 2, will do the same as above.
> >
> > - when "LC_ALL=foo" will use "fo" and fall back to default
> > name settings, unless a menu entry uses "Name[fo]=".
> >
> > - fixed the problems Jeremy reported by exiling bad .desktop files
> >
> > - replaced defun's with defines
> >
> > - changed the names of a few variables
> >
> > not sure what the 'unless-batch-mode is for either...
>
> This prevents the menu beeing generated while compiling fdo-menu.jlc, or
> when running in batch mode.

plus: some parts of the code won't compile without (unless
batch-mode ... ) the very early fdo-menu has been one of them. I haven't
checked newer versions.