Re: [IMPORTANT] Support for Buttons 6 7 8 9 dropped -> use evdev

Am Samstag, den 10.10.2009, 14:49 +0900 schrieb Teika Kazura:
> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 14:03:08 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > X.Org/XF86s Headers only have support for Buttons 1 - 5 (though 6 - 9 is
> > technically possible). But it's our own hacky solution, so I merged with
> > timo/mouse branch and support for buttons 6 - 9 is gone.
> >
> > Other Projects (for example GTK+ and more) also don't support those.
>
> > Well support isn't really gone, just use evdev instead of relying on
> > sawfish itself:
> >
> > http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO%20Mouse
> > %20Buttons
>
> > this (of course) also works with the sawfish btn 6 - 9 code removed.
> > Plus: someone wanted support for buttons 10 - 13 (rejected) -> will
> > work, too. Thanks to evdev.
> >
> > The tutorial is from 2006, but I'm sure it still works (as evdev does
> > with my Keyboard currently). Either way, it would be nice if some of you
> > brave x-Button-Mouse-Warriors could add a doc for making those buttons
> > work to our Wiki.
>
> I don't know what counted. It's not necessarily evdev.  My pc is
> laptop, and the driver is synaptic. It can produce button 6 & 7.

synaptic is a driver for specific hardware, evdev is a generic driver,
that's why it is referenced, regardless of other drives supporting that.

> If xvkbd, xev, or whatever treats the button in correct way, then isn't
> it the right way to learn from them? If not, it's just that one
> workaround is switched to another, and nothing more. It's true that
> with this change it's *not* us any more who bare the hackish
> workaround, though.

Well, AFAIK evdev interconnects with the Kernel, so I can't say wether
it would be a solution for sawfish internal code.

> I can't judge if this decision is good or bad.

I would say 50/50