Re: [IMPORTANT] Support for Buttons 6 7 8 9 dropped -> use evdev

Hi.

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 14:03:08 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> X.Org/XF86s Headers only have support for Buttons 1 - 5 (though 6 - 9 is
> technically possible). But it's our own hacky solution, so I merged with
> timo/mouse branch and support for buttons 6 - 9 is gone.
>
> Other Projects (for example GTK+ and more) also don't support those.

> Well support isn't really gone, just use evdev instead of relying on
> sawfish itself:
>
> http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO%20Mouse
> %20Buttons

> this (of course) also works with the sawfish btn 6 - 9 code removed.
> Plus: someone wanted support for buttons 10 - 13 (rejected) -> will
> work, too. Thanks to evdev.
>
> The tutorial is from 2006, but I'm sure it still works (as evdev does
> with my Keyboard currently). Either way, it would be nice if some of you
> brave x-Button-Mouse-Warriors could add a doc for making those buttons
> work to our Wiki.

I don't know what counted. It's not necessarily evdev.  My pc is
laptop, and the driver is synaptic. It can produce button 6 & 7.

If xvkbd, xev, or whatever treats the button in correct way, then isn't
it the right way to learn from them? If not, it's just that one
workaround is switched to another, and nothing more. It's true that
with this change it's *not* us any more who bare the hackish
workaround, though.

I can't judge if this decision is good or bad.

Thanks anyway. We now know workarounds for 10 - 13 buttons.

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)