Re: error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")

Am Sat, 30 May 2009 08:34:52 +0200 (CEST)
schrieb Petter Gustad <sawfish gustad com>:

> From: Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>
> Subject: Re: error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")
> Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:32:01 +0900 (JST)
>
> > Let me confirm: (1) Does sawfish run? You're just annoyed by the
> > message? Or it breaks? (2) Does it print: "can't load default font
> > during initialisation" ?
>
> No, it does not run. It prints the message and there is no window
> manager running. I have to revert to a different window manager.
>
> The only message displayed on stdout/stderr is:
>
> error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")
>
> Then I'm back to my bash prompt.
>
> > I guess 'NO' for #2, because xlfd is available. If sawfish doesn't
> > start, there may be other cause.
> >
> > Your first analysis was more informative than the second (sorry).
> > It's src/fonts.c, 'void fonts_init()'. There 'get_font_typed' is
> > called twice.  The first call tries "xft". If get_font_typed can't
> > find the font type, error is signaled, and this is the case. But it
> > comes back and continues, and the next call is done, which now tries
> > "xlfd". Because it comes back, it runs, no?
>
> Unfortunately not.
>
> > Librep manual says that if an error is not handled, then it goes
> > back to innermost input loop. But in our case, signal is sent
> > during the initialization. What happens?
>
> It seem to terminate. Is the cause of this behavior a missing error
> handler at the top level?
>

> Petter

... the issue is that somehow the value of the pango/xft checks is not
correctly substituted by configure ... I don't know why, the configure
scripts from 1.3.5{,1} is the same than the one of 1.3.5.2, and that
does not happen there, so the issue may be somewhere else. (I also
can't reproduce it)

what is the output of the pango checks (config.log)?

1.5.0 needs to be tested by you guys (who have that issue), too please.