Re: error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")

Hi, Petter.

On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:06:07 +0200 (CEST), Petter Gustad wrote:
> I just installed the latest sawfish release sources(1) on my CentOS
> 5.3 system at work. But I'm getting the following message when I try
> to start it:
>
> error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")

Let me confirm: (1) Does sawfish run? You're just annoyed by the
message? Or it breaks? (2) Does it print: "can't load default font
during initialisation" ?

I guess 'NO' for #2, because xlfd is available. If sawfish doesn't
start, there may be other cause.

Your first analysis was more informative than the second (sorry).
It's src/fonts.c, 'void fonts_init()'. There 'get_font_typed' is
called twice.  The first call tries "xft". If get_font_typed can't
find the font type, error is signaled, and this is the case. But it
comes back and continues, and the next call is done, which now tries
"xlfd". Because it comes back, it runs, no?

Librep manual says that if an error is not handled, then it goes back
to innermost input loop. But in our case, signal is sent during the
initialization. What happens?

Teika (Teika kazura)