Re: [README] New default keybindings [second attempt]

Am Samstag, den 28.02.2009, 20:43 +0900 schrieb Teika Kazura:
> Hi all.
>
> Let us distinguish good and bad; Christopher's intent must be to offer
> users convenience. It's good. Common objections raised are that it's
> bad to interfere users' settings. It's reasonable.

Of course it is. That's why I reworked the list of bindings. Only C-W-m
for maximize-toggle is interfering now. Any suggestions for an easy
binding for maximze-toggle, that does not conflict with known apps?

> One point I'm not sure is: is it possible to disable default bindings
> from the GUI? It seems not; I deleted 'toggle-window-shaded' from the
> shade-button-keymap but nothing changed. If this is the case, we have
> to be quite careful so that sawfish should not steal key strokes from
> other apps.
>
> Well, it's worse? I've put (unbind-keys ...) in ~/.sawfish/rc, but
> it *remained*.

(unbind-keys global-keymap "W-Tab" 'cycle-windows)

does work for me, perhaps it's just the issue, that you wanted to remove
the action that the button is desired for. Maybe that's not possible.

> Anyway, what's desired by Chris can be partially done by display of
> frequently used commands names. So, what about perparing a doc (or a
> section in a doc, or brother of OPTIONS) for 'binding examples', like:
> ;;; Binding examples:
> ;; Here are listed useful functions to bind to keys. All available commands
> ;; can be reached from the GUI.
>
> ;; Copy the lines you liked into your ~/.sawfish/rc
>
> ;;; Global mapping
>
> ;; `cycle-windows' and `cycle-windows-backwards' should have the same
> ;; modifier.
> (bind-keys window-keymap "C-M-r" 'cycle-windows)
> (bind-keys window-keymap "C-M-s" 'cycle-windows-backwards)
> ..
> ;;; Windows
> ..
> The orginal idea by Chris, 'Quit sawfish' and so on, is not bad
> to be here.

An example on how to add bindings is already included in KEYBINDINGS,
just a simple, single one.

> I'm one of those who heavily customizes keyboards. It seems the ratio
> of such people is higher in sawfish users. Maybe it's because what
> they seek is flexibility, and sawfish surpasses other WMs in this
> regard.

Sure.

> Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> > Doesn't M really mean W here, though?
>
> W is a convenient way to let users choose 'the modifier for sawfish',
> but making default bindings with W *can* interfere user's settings.
>
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:38:17 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 19.02.2009, 23:11 +0200 schrieb Timo Korvola:
> > ... I use C-M-up and C-M-down for raise and lower...
> > C-M-down and C-M-up for raise/lower is o.k.
>
> It's up to users, so you can't say "Ok" nor "No", I think. That's
> where my proposal above comes from.

Well, o.k. in sense of "Does not conflict with known apps".