Re: workspace issue with sawfish 1.5.0

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:42:32 -0400 (EDT)
Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been a big fan of sawfish for several years. Thanks very
> much to the developers.
>
> Today I tried updating from rep-gtk 0.18 and sawfish 1.3.5.1 to
> rep-gtk 0.18.6r2 and sawfish 1.5.0.  Everything built OK but
> when I restarted X sawfish wasn't there and my X error log
> contained a complaint about gnome-panel:
>
> (gnome-panel:PID) Wnck-CRITICAL **: wnck_workspace_get_number:
> assertion `WNCK_IS_WORKSPACE (space)' failed
>
> I was able to restart sawfish manually, but the desktop was messed
> up, with icons overlapping panels.  I tried deleting my old
> ~/.sawfish/custom just in case there was anything incompatible in
> there and started X again.  No dice, same problem.
>
> I then tried reverting sawfish to 1.3.5.1.  Again the broken
> start-up.  Finally I reverted rep-gtk to 0.18 and everything works
> again.  But I'd like to retry the update if I can figure out
> what's going wrong.
>
> I should perhaps mention that my gnome version is rather old: the
> panel is gnome-panel-2.2.2.2.  That's because I feel that recent
> gnome has been too "dumbed down" -- there are things I can do with
> the old gnome and that can't with recent releases.  But my gtk
> installation is current, version 2.16.5.

Boah. I would like to help you, but it's rather hard to get your
setup ... did you also update librep? you should, as sawfish 1.5
requires a pretty new one, but you did not mention it.

... workspace-code did not change for a very long time, I'm pretty sure
it's GNOME causing the issue, as sawfish works well, standalone, with
recent GNOME, KDE3 and KDE4.