Re: Poll on infinite-desktop, viewport and workspace?

Teika Kazura wrote:
Hi, all. Let me do a poll, because rework is expected, and to make
sure how should it be done.
<delurk>

I'm still stuck with FVWM but I have a desire to move to a WM with a 'sane' configuration language.

I'll answer with reference to how I use FVWM (and how I'd like to use sawfish);

Do you use:
1. workspace?
One
2. viewport?
36 - arranged as a 6x6 grid.
3. infinite-desktop?
IIUC FVWM does not have that concept.
4. pager? which?
FVWM's pager has a few features that I have not found elsewhere (perhaps I haven't looked hard enough?);

1) transient mode - pager disappears after a viewport is selected or cancelled via ESC/wheel/etc.

2) windows may be moved/arranged across the entire desktop using the pager

5. edgeflip?
Yes.
6. Could you describe more on how you use them?
I use the 'windows' key as the primary modifier for all WM interactions. I use FVWM's directional focus (i.e. focus on nearest window in north-east direction) in addition to viewport-[left|right|up|down].

I have a trackball button devoted to the transient pager which allows one handed desktop-surfing (my other hand being devoted to a cup to tea:).

7. Have any idea on them?
I use window matching to keep applications in their 'proper' viewports. I presume sawfish has (or will have) this?

One other item (whilst I remember) - can sawfish generate menus dynamically from scripts?

HTH