Re: [SF] [SF] [ANNOUNCE] sawfish-1.5.0

>> > Try:
>> >
>> >     ./autogen.sh
>>
>> This gives
>>
>> Running autoheader
>> Running libtoolize
>> You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
>> `aclocal.m4'.
>> Running aclocal
>> aclocal: couldn't open directory `m4': No such file or directory
>
> Here it gives:
>
>     ./autogen.sh
>     Running autoheader
>     Running libtoolize
>     libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
>     libtoolize: copying file `./config.guess'
>     libtoolize: copying file `./config.sub'
>     libtoolize: copying file `./install-sh'
>     libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
>     libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
>     libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
>     libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
>     libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
>     libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
>     libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
>     libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
>     Running aclocal
>     Running autoconf
>
> As you see the m4 dir gets created here out of libtoolize
> benevolence, which is part of libtool-2.2.6-11.fc11.i586 RPM.
> Is it installed at your end?

I have libtool-1.5.24-3.fc8 as you can see it's Fedora 8. The
autogen.sh script explicitly checks for libtool 1.5 but that doesn't
seem to help. After all the following does create a configure script,
instead of running autogen.sh:

cp /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 aclocal.m4
autoheader
libtoolize --force --copy
autoconf

Honestly, I don't quite understand why there is this autogen.sh script
anyway. Why can't the packaged archive contain a reasonable configure
script to begin with? The rep-gtk code doesn't seem to be more
complicated than other software which are happily shipped with a
configure script. Or am I overlooking something? In any case the user
experience could be increased greatly if the installation of sawfish
would not involve all sorts of trickery, but the simple

./configure
make
make install

cycle on each of the dependencies (librep, rep-gtk, sawfish).

In any case, thanks for the hard work guys, it's good to see that
sawfish is alive again!

Cheers,
Daniel