Re: Future Plans .....

Am Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:21:31 +0200
schrieb Timo Korvola <Timo Korvola iki fi>:

> On Monday 28 December 2009 18:25:51 Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Compositor
> > Improve system for handling keys/keyboards
> >
> > [Timo, Janek, Teika, Jeremy]
>
> I don't know what improvements Chris had in mind.  I have heard of
> problems with multiple keyboard layouts, some of which I suspect have
> to do with the broken and inextensible mouse support, but I don't use
> multiple layouts myself.  I have not had much time to work on Sawfish
> lately, and I don't expect that to improve.  Long ago I thought I
> would have a go at fixing the mouse support and started by reverting
> the broken changes.  Unfortunately I have not had time to continue.

eg.:

* On my system ALT is bound to ALT, but sawfish recognizes it as META,
  so using A in keybindings has no effect.

* Next, sawfish does not differ between NumLock On or Off, therefore
  KP_[0-9] are not available for bindings and bindings with
  KP_[Home,Left,whatever] are always active, so you can't use NumLock
  Off + 5 (= KP_Home) to issue a function and NumLock On + 5 (= KP_5) to
  insert a `5' in the current window, as sawfish both times sees
  KP_Home.

* AltGR is recognized as Mod5, though it actually is
  ISO_Level3_Shift on my System. Of course I can use ISO_Level3_Shift
  in bindigs correctly, unlike A for the ALT key, but this is confusing,
  if you use ISO_Level3_Shift and Sawfish refers to Mod5.

Or in other words: major revision of keys.[ch]

I'm pretty sure there are more issues though,