Re: [IMPORTANT] Feature Freeze for 1.6.0

Am Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:00:21 +0900 (JST)
schrieb Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>:

> On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:10:04 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Only until the 20th Dec afterwards *nothing* expect doc/po-updates
> > or bugfixes will be applied.
>
> We've got horiz / vert max'n regression, and focus-revert issue (I'm
> not sure at all with the status of the latter; it's hard for me to
> follow the thread of the argument ;), but will there be a postponement
> of the release, or the date is hard-wired-iron-solid?

Well I took 22nd as release as I wanted to bring it as
Christmas-present and I didn't want to spend too much time over
Christmas (I'm also not at home for 2 or 3 days), so if it's necessary
to delay, then we may do it, but when perhaps 1.6.0 will be released
next year.

For the 1st issue there is already a patch, for the second
it's mainly a conflict of *personal* preference, Timos pp has been
commited, but Dereks is a different, mine is somewhere in the middle,
so it's very difficult what to do, as the discussion is mostly not
rational. Plus it mostly applies only for enter-exit mode and a version
with old behaviour is on the ML, which can be posted to the wiki, too.

So at the moment I don't see a reason for delay. Yet.

> The problem is incricate, especially for the focus problem. We
> shouldn't jump to a wrong conclusion in the "eleventh nanosecond".
>
> One safe way is to fix the release date, and decide *now* not to
> incorporate the focus patch. Thus we can avoid the risk of taking
> wrong solution. But this is obviously not recommendable - the
> quality is definitely lowered.
>
> > ... Should I release a RC now? Or are you all patient enough to wait
> > another 17 days?
>
> It's better to have an RC (= release candidate, I suppose everyone
> knows), and let them try. And if you do it, please attach a line,
> 'even a simple line, "I installed, and seems fine for 3 days" helps a
> lot!'

Well, it will require librep 0.90.4, which is not yet released, but
since it's just a RC I'll release it anyway.

Chris