Re: New questionnaire on your usage of Sawfish

Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com> writes:
> Hi. Let us see the second questionnaire on how you use Sawfish.
>
> Now, tell us,
> * What's your focus mode?

enter-only

> * Favorite scripts?

I use app -- I wrote it before I knew about jump-or-exec/waffle/gimme.
It's similar, but uses cycle-commands to cycle between instances.  I
also use emacs.jl (also on the wiki) a lot to interface with emacs from
sawfish -- to edit files, call up gnus, construct menus of emacs buffers
(see below), access info, or whatever.

It seems a lot of people use something like app, or jump-or-exec.
Perhaps a script along those lines should be added to the sawfish
bundle?

> * Your own hacks?

I use the prompt system quite a bit, and wrote prext (on the wiki) that
has a way to access menus via prompt, with tab-completion.  It's not
where I want it to be yet, though.  Unfortunately, I had trouble coming
to grips with menus -- as I recall the docs don't match the code: there
are valid menus that aren't valid according to the docs.  One of these
days I plan to go back to that, but it's been on the back burner for me
for a while.  (It seems that the menu code has a preprocessor to do a
number of interesting things to menus, but it's not exposed, nor is it
exactly clear how to take advantage of it if it were exposed.)

I have a few other hacks:
 - a matcher to keep a window lined up with a corner
 - constructor for a menu of emacs buffers to create a frame showing
   that buffer
 - constructor for a menu to access emacs-muse projects and files

There's also the dynamic viewports stuff, which I intend to provide
another patch for in a day or so to fix a couple of problems.

> * Suggestions on additional question items?

Nope.  :)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan nowan org>