Re: sawfish development tools

Timo Korvola said:     (by the date of Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:10:54 +0300)

> Janek Kozicki <janek_listy wp pl> writes:
> > just a note: currently the only place where sawfish patches are
> > listed is the wiki patch page.
>
> It is convenient to have a single place for listing the patches.  Wiki
> is good for that.  It is also useful for discussing those patches,

exactly. And an easy way to count votes. Of course mailing list is
much better for discussion, but not for counting votes - it would
require grepping/grokking the maildir for positive/negative opinions :)

> But Wiki is not particularly good at storing the patches themselves.

I understand and agree with that. You are writing on wiki site:

 "You can also get this patch with Git from http://www.elisanet.fi/tkorvola/
  sawfish.git, branch icon-refresh."

well... people familiar with git know how to interpret your
instructions. But for me it's not obvious. Would be great if you
could just copy-paste the shell command to download a diff. Would
save me (and others?) some time :)

I have nothing against moving to another repository and make it
official, the only requirement is that we will just stay organized.
And a [[Quick git tutorial]] page would be necessary on wiki, just to
save some time.

> > Whatever we do, just make sure, that we are not adding just *another*
> > place to the stack (eg. bzr), and we lose the advantage of having all
> > patches listed in a single place.
>
> Oh, but we can still list them in a single place and just provide
> references to version control repositories.  I've actually been doing
> that for a while now, although I don't know if anyone has tried to
> fetch any of my patches with Git and if they have, whether there have
> been any problems.  That would actually be interesting to know.

surely someone will try if you give a shell command to do that :)

Besides, GSR just contacted me, and it turns out he has access to
gnome SVN, so now he is another person who can accept and commit
submitted patches. Of course depending on votes and patch testing :)
I bet that with him we can go quicker.

thanks!