Re: wheeling to shade on (titlebar) window border

I'm not sure I understand but it sounds like this will do what you want.

Customize ->Bindings
Select "Title" as the context.
Add-> Type in "Button4-Click" (grab doesn't work for me) and select
"Toggle window shaded"

Alternatively, in your .sawfishrc add:
(bind-keys title-keymap "Button4-Click" 'toggle-window-shaded)

Josie