Re: Sawfish release 1.3.2

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:32:08PM +0100, Janek Kozicki wrote:
> Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz said:     (by the date of Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:03:38 -0600)
>
> > I've just gotten around to downloading it for updating Debian. And
> > found that the tarball contains the sources *after running
> > ./configure*
> >
> > That's bad, because they then contain references to the arch they were
> > configured in (i486, in this case) which causes trouble when
> > automatically compiling in others (as is done in Debian).
> >
> > Please, for future releases, take care to run
> >  make distclean
> > before making the tarball.
>

> oh no. Once again I made a mistake when preparing the tarball, I'm
> really sorry. How serious is it? Should I upload another tarball?

Not bad enough to merit a new release, I think. I repacked the tarball
for upload to debian, removing the offending files.

> When doing next release, before letting the tarball go, I'll ask you
> if it's ok. In fact I was following the instructions on
>
>   http://developer.gnome.org/tools/svn.html
>
> The "Final Steps" section:
>
> # Bump up the version number in configure.in file
> # 'autogen.sh' and 'make' the source
> # 'make distcheck' the source to obtain the release tarball
> # Commit the changes
>
> But 'make distcheck' didn't work.

That's because our makefiles are old and hand made, and predate (or at
least ignore) the recomendations to have this target.

I've had for a while the idea of re-doing our whole build system, but
it's a daunting task and I haven't found the inner strenght of soul to
approach it ;)

> So I made tarball by hand. Should I
> at this point call 'make distclean' and make tarball by hand?

Yes, that's the right procedure. 'make distcheck' basicaly does that,
followed by an unpack/configure/build cycle of the created tarball
inside a tmp dir.