Re: trayer crashes sawfish

>> I'm not sure if it's a trayer or sawfish issue but will first ask you
>> guys if anyone can reproduce the problem at all.
>>
>> I'm running sawfish 1.3.1 without gnome and needed a standalone tray
>> utility so started to use trayer
>> http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&keywords=trayer
>> I downloaded the source from debian, also a necessary patch, compiled
>> and ran it.
>>
>> Everything seems fine, the tray works and docks the icons (nm-applet,
>> battery usage, skype, etc) but as soon as I press the middle mouse
>> button on the background in order to bring up the sawfish main menu,
>> sawfish crashes. This means that windows don't get focus, edge
>> flipping stops working, etc. The only thing I can do is Ctrl+Alt+F1 to
>> terminal mode, killall -9 trayer, Ctrl+Alt+F7 back to GUI mode and
>> then observe that sawfish is still dead, the headers of the windows
>> are black, etc. Then go back to terminal mode, killall -9 sawfish, and
>> restart X.
>>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> 1. Does anybody use trayer + sawfish?
>> 2. If yes, does it work properly?
>> 3. If not, what tray application do you use (I tried stalonetray but
>> it's very buggy, exiting an application like rhythmbox and restarting
>> it again for example causes the rhythmbox icon to not appear on the
>> tray. I have to kill stalonetray, restart it, in order to get
>> rhythmbox show up again.)?
>> 4. If you've never used trayer, can you please try compiling it and
>> seeing whether you have the same problem as me?
>
> After looking into this issue a bit further I discovered a number of
> tray/panel applications, but unfortunately none of them work:
>
> 1. docker - http://icculus.org/openbox/2/docker/ - Opens a window, not
> something that sticks to the background root window
> 2. PerlPanel - http://freshmeat.net/projects/perlpanel/ - Doesn't compile
> 3. pypanel - http://pypanel.sourceforge.net/ - Compiles but segfaults
> (32bit vs 64bit issue)
> 4. peksystray - http://sourceforge.net/projects/peksystray - Opens a
> window, not something that sticks to the background root window
>
> After all of this I'm out of ideas. Trayer came the closest to
> actually work, but it crashes sawfish as I described in the first
> post.

Hi folks, there seems to be a common theme to these panel/tray
applications: many of them screw up sawfish's edge flipping. I have
the following viewport settings:

(define-special-variable viewport-dimensions '(3 . 2)
    "Size of each virtual workspace.")

and if I exit with the mouse from one of the viewports on the right,
the mouse will appear on the left side of the next viewport. As if the
viewport were physically next to each other.
Now, after starting many of these panel/systray applications, this
edge flipping stops working, and the mouse doesn't flip from right to
left, but stays on the right of the new viewport.

In addition, several of these apps cause sawfish to freeze if the
middle mouse button is pressed in order to bring up the main menu.

So I'm guessing these are sawfish issues since these panel/systray
apps behave (almost) the same in this regard.

Any comments that may shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Daniel