Re: Gnome pager [WAS: Re: reviving sawfish development.]

On Jun 28, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Thursday 2007-06-28 20:29:05 +1000, Allan Duncan opened this window:
> > Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> > >
> > >If you use gnome, what's wrong with the gnome pager?
> > >
> > >I think the sawfish pager is intended for anti-gnome diehards like me. :)
> >
> > If you can tell me how to find gnome pager in gnome V2.18, please do.
> > It exists in gnome V1.4
>
> It's a gnome-panel applet, so you're supposed to run that. So if you
> don't use gnome-panel you could need a sawfish pager or another
> standalone pager instead.

I like the pager to be at the bottom-right corner of the screen --
easy enough to create one of those corner panels and put it there.
But Gnome applications talk to each other more these days, and if you
happen to be weird enough to log onto the machine with two different
geometries (a large desktop screen, and a small VNC session), you'll
discover that the corner panel on the VNC session makes the one on the
desktop move to the same absolute place.

I fought with this for too much time.  Switching to the sawfish pager
made me feel sane again.

(Not to mention being able to use plain but usable colors rather than
a mostly-gray stylistic but-nearly-useless gadget with "size" being
its rich set of customization options.  After all, They know what's
good for us sheep.)