how to escape key events?

Hi.

Is there some way to escape key events so that I can send them to
a nested window manager?  For example, I have Ctrl-Arrow bound to
switch workspaces.  If I'm running a VNC viewer with another
desktop in it, I'd sometimes like Ctrl-Arrow to change my local
desktop, and sometimes want it to change the nested desktop.

What would be ideal is a special keypress used as a prefix,
meaning "send next event as-is to focused application, without
interpreting it"...  similar to C-V in vim, I suppose.  Is there
such a thing in sawfish?

-- Scott