Re: displaying the result of a shell command as window title strings

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 05:21:02PM -0800, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> I'm looking for something
> like current-time-string which apparently works.

A result from that is apparently a string.

> I know that ( system "/path/to/program" ) is valid

But this is certainly not a string.

> but $[system "/path/to/program"] doesn't
> work for the title strings.

Not that surprising.

Look at functions like get-output-stream-string, call-process
and make-string-output-stream.  OTOH have a peek into /etc/bashrc
to see how bash is using PROMPT_COMMAND to modify a title of
terminal window.  If you are thinking about windows of that sort
that could be quite a bit simpler.

   Michal