Re: [sabayon] Sabayon update crashed our profiles

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 14:43 +0100, Jehan PROCACCIA wrote:

> OK, I forgave the idea to restore the old desktop ... I created a new
> one with the newer version of sabayon . It works fine as long as I
> removed the old desktop from the user's home . We've written a script
> that users can launch which removes: rm -rf ~/.kde ~/.gtkrc*
> ~/.nautilus  ~/.sawfish ~/.kderc ~/Desktop  ~/.gconf* ~/.gnome* ~/.gtkrc
> ~/.nautilus ~/.sawfish ~/.dmrc ~/.fonts.cache-1 ~/gnome-terminal.desktop
> /.ICEauthority ~/MailINT.desktop ~/.mcop* ~/.qt ~/.rhn-applet* ~/Xclien*
> . I hope it's not too destructive ... but it works fine apparently .
> After that the user gets it new environent from hte newer sabayon
> profile. But I was wondering how sabayon works. If the desktop
> folder/subfolders mentioned above a present, sabayon does nothing ? Do I
> really need to erase all these to get the new desktop ?

That shouldn't be needed. The way sabayon works is that the profile can
contain files + metadata that are used by various backends to deploy
into the homedir.

The gconf backend installs into ~/.gconf.xml.defaults and
~/.gconf.xml.mandatory, and then gconf is set up to include the
mandatory directory as readonly before the users normal gconf settings
(~/.gconf) and the defaults after that.

The file backend just extracts the file you stored in the progile. If it
is marked mandatory it will overwrite an existing file, if not an
existing file will be kept.

The mozilla/firefox backend does some complicated javascript merging of
the mozilla prefs files.

> There's also a small problem, after erasing all these files/folders ,
> when starting on the new desktop, I get a popup telling something like
> (french translation of me ...) " The keyboard X settings differs from
> the one from Gnome, which one would you choose (X/Gnome)". If I choose
> gnome I get a querty keyboard :-( , If I choose X I get a azerty
> keyboard :-) . does that popup appears because I erase to much files ?
> Are the new sabayon settings forcing a querty keyboard ? how can I
> change it to azerty ?

This is strange. I don't see how sabayon could affect the keyboard,
unless somehow the keyboard setting got stored in the gconf settings in
the profile.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a globe-trotting Amish dog-catcher on a mission from God. She's a
tortured Buddhist cab driver in the wrong place at the wrong time. They fight
crime!