Re: [sabayon] Sabayon update crashed our profiles

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:04 +0100, Jehan PROCACCIA wrote:
> hello,
>
> The recent sabayon update (sabayon-2.12.1-1) on our fedora 4 system cannot read
> the old sabayon profile we created for our 2000 students :-(
> I don't see how to convert the old one to the ne one ? is it possible ?
> if not, to cope with the urgency .. I recreated the profile we distribute with
> the new version, but there's at least one thing I cannot do anymore -> create
> icons on the desktop. New version works fine for personalizations in the gnome
> panel, but I used to drag and drop icons from the menu to the desktop
> background, it works in sabayon edition, but after saving it and restarting it,
>  all icons on the desktop has deseapeared :-( .
> If you could give me at least one solution (convert the old profile, or a way to
> recreate icons (launchers ...) on the desktop) I'll be out of urgency ... .
>
> Thanks a lot .

Oh, I'm sorry about that. I wasn't aware that anyone was deploying
sabayon yet, and wanted to do some simplification in the file format due
to some features that got removed.

Its pretty easy to convert a module. Just unzip the profile, edit the
file "metafile" and the recompress it again. Just delete the version
info. Compare the old metafile with a new one and it should be pretty
obvious how it works.

It should be pretty easy to automate this with a script too.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an otherworldly zombie vagrant who hides his scarred face behind a mask.
She's a vivacious tomboy hooker with a flame-thrower. They fight crime!