Re: [sabayon] apply order?

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 17:15 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> I assume the iteration order of storage.foreach() is effectively random.
> Its not the order (nor reverse order) the files were added it, correct?

	I'd be surprised if there wasn't currently some logic to the order, but
I wouldn't recommend relying on any logic you might observe :-)

> I also assume if there is an apply order dependency its up to the
> source/delegate apply function to first iterate over all the files and
> build an ordered list before doing the extract or merge, correct?
>
> Assuming the above is true would it be worthwhile making the apply order
> be identical to the add order? I suspect along with mozilla/firefox
> there will be other source/delegates where the correct apply has
> dependences on earlier "applies"

	Nah, I don't think we should be making too much assumptions about the
contents of the profile - e.g. if the code saves in a certain order now
and in later versions that order changes ... ?

	If the code is saving in a certain order, presumably it should be easy
to extract in a given order. You don't even need to use foreach() if
there's a finite set of things you want to extract - e.g. the GConf
source just extracts .gconf.xml.defaults and .gconf.xml.mandatory and
doesn't use foreach() at all.

Cheers,
Mark.