Fw: Re: Change media information on the fly?

I mistakenly sent this to Jens rather to the list, so I am fowarding it to the list as well.

Hi Jens,

Thanks for responding to my question.

>> I am using Rygel to restream internet radio on my local network so I
>> can list on at two locations at once. It works very well. However, I
>> was wondering if there was some way to update the stream title
>> metadata on the fly? I was hoping to somehow script the scraping of
>> title information and then update Rygel accordingly. From reading the
>> manual page it seems like this may be the purpose of the -i switch,
>> but it doesn't seem to work as I expect so maybe I am interpreting
>> it's usage incorrectly.
>No, that's only used on start-up of the process. For anything more
>complex
>you probably need to do some programming.

Darn, I will look into this but I think it's beyond my skill level.

>> My renderer is Kodi running under Linux.
>I'm surprised Kodi works for you. What's your rygel version?

I'm usng Kodi 24.2 from the Ubuntu 15.04 package repository:

Package: rygel
Architecture: amd64
Version: 0.24.2-1build1

It works very well and exactly like one would expect.  If you go to the file manager in Kodi and add al location of upnp:// then browse that location the device and streams show up from Rygel and can be be played by merely selecting one.  I dont use it this way however as I control Kodi via JSON.  For that I use djmount (http://djmount.sourceforge.net/) which creates sort of psuedo file system that I mount to ~/.upnp.  Then I can just tell Kodi to play ~/.upnp/Marlwood/flacStream.m3u.  This method also works great as well.

I've been using Rygel this way for a while, I think since at least the Helix (14.x) release of Kodi and it's been working just fine.  I'm currently running the Jarvis (16.0) beta  and it's working great there too.  So I'm suprised that you're suprised it would not work.  Why would that be?

Cheers,
Rick