Re: modify library structure

Hi Andrzej,

yes, multiple servers could be one solution and I'm already playing with that. But it seems to me somehow odd. Isn't some sort of structure the next question when you have a library at all?

From the development or coding point of view, is this really so complicated to get this into the upnp scheme?

I'm playing currently with many different upnp servers and it seems a general problem. Maybe there are servers out there and I'm only at the beginning of my evaluation... MiniDLNA, Rygel not, in Plex it seems one can define separate sub-libs and they show up a separate folders under music or videos. But the overall performance of plex for big libraries is very bad and it is also not fully open source. I've read about some config options of Mediatomb but I have to check this...

On the other hand I recently came across the LMS (logitechmediaserver) which is a completely separate system for the squeezeboxes (and its open source; I use LMS without any special hardware, only these software players like squeezelite). But it seems very configurable by lots of plugins and with that I was able for the first time to reflect on the "library-browser" what I wanted to have. It has even the possibillity to create "virtual" sub-libs by tags, artists etc. Also all this streaming services like spotify or soundcloud show up as a separate folder under "music". How this can be done with upnp? Wouldn't it be nice to have a upnp server which allows for all this plugins?

Initially my thought was there is a standard, open protocol upnp and all additional customization will be done in the (open source) software around it. I would also start hacking a bit and try to improve the situation, but currently it seems a have to understand more details of the upnp protocol to see it it fits my needs at all or where is the right starting point for such a project. But I'm still hoping :-)

steffen