Re: DLNA for recording

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 21:28 +0100, Johannes Niess wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> DLNA 1.x isn't made for that and I couldn't get much info about DLNA version 2
> which should include recording in some form. My vision for a modular home
> theater PC software is based on a variety of DLNA servers / renderers etc.
> Basically I'm thinking of this:

No, but UPnP has (from MediaServer:2, there's v2 from MediaServer:3 as
well, but rygel currently targets :2)

http://upnp.org/specs/av/UPnP-av-ScheduledRecording-v1-Service.pdf

There's a long-standing TODO item to implement that in conjunction with
gnome-dvb-daemon.

> XMLTV data is chopped into one file per show and linked into directories by
> date, station, etc. Using a custom profile the info is published by a DLNA
> server or uploader "XMLTV".
>
> Any standard control point is used to select shows for recording by "playing"
> these files. In my case this will be a smart phone via WLAN.
>
> A renderer "Recorder" extracts the meta data and performs the necessary magic
> like command line generation for recording.

That feels hackish.

> The output file is now published by a standard server and is ready for
> consumption.
>
> An "Ad remover" renderer could be added later.
>
> Any standard control point is used to select shows for playing.
>
> A renderer "mplayer" is used for software output.

I don't get that part.

> As I understand it, rygel is a platform for the required plugins. Especially
> the "external" and "gst-launch" plugins might be useful. I could not find any
> usage examples. Source code for a renderer that gets data feed on standard

Usage examples for what? "external" is a DBus consumer, you have to
implement a DBus spec, http://live.gnome.org/Rygel/MediaServer2Spec to
interface with this plugin. Knowm implementors currently are
gnome-dvb-daemon & grilo-rygel.

For gst-launch examples are in the default configuration file.

I don't get the part with the shell script.