Re: DLNA for recording

> On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 21:28 +0100, Johannes Niess wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > DLNA 1.x isn't made for that and I couldn't get much info about DLNA
> > version 2 which should include recording in some form. My vision for a
> > modular home theater PC software is based on a variety of DLNA servers /
> > renderers etc.
>
> > Basically I'm thinking of this:
> No, but UPnP has (from MediaServer:2, there's v2 from MediaServer:3 as
> well, but rygel currently targets :2)
>
> http://upnp.org/specs/av/UPnP-av-ScheduledRecording-v1-Service.pdf
>
> There's a long-standing TODO item to implement that in conjunction with
> gnome-dvb-daemon.

Thank you for providing the document. Based on that, I made the informed
decision not to implement this standard. I'm trying to avoid XML wrangling and
to concetrate on something a lot more programmer friendly. Are there any real
world implementations of the  standard? Would any control point work with it
or is support for it optional?

> > XMLTV data is chopped into one file per show and linked into directories
> > by date, station, etc. Using a custom profile the info is published by a
> > DLNA server or uploader "XMLTV".
> >
> > Any standard control point is used to select shows for recording by
> > "playing" these files. In my case this will be a smart phone via WLAN.
> >
> > A renderer "Recorder" extracts the meta data and performs the necessary
> > magic like command line generation for recording.
>
> That feels hackish.

I'd call it 'creative use' of the standard...