Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Discussion as to whether community based external plugins could/should be in the official source-tree

You may also be forgetting non-python plugins, which can also be built in-tree.

My plugin rbpitch is written in Vala: http://launchpad.net/rbpitch

I just need to tune it up a bit to work with Rhythmbox 3.x, and then if your project to get in-tree community plugins accepted goes according to plan, I'd like to submit rbpitch for inclusion as well.

Just FYI, in the past, I have asked about having community plugins included in rhythmbox tree, and the reply was basically that if the plugin won't be useful to the vast majority of users, it was suggested that the plugin remain out-of-tree. The suggestion at the time was for the community to start a third party repository containing an amalgam of decent quality, license-compatible community plugins, and work as a group to get that pulled into distros, and maybe even get it repo space on git.gnome.org if possible, and make tarball releases for download when there are enough changes accumulated to release. These steps would make the integration relatively painless for distros that already pull other gnome packages.

Of course, it is entirely possible that the maintainership (which does not, by any means, consist of yours truly, by the way) might change their minds, as it's been several years since that discussion took place. So this is not intended to discourage you from your mission of getting these plugins into rhythmbox's own source tree. I'm just saying that the alternative doesn't sound all that bad either.

Thanks,

Sean