Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Compiling without libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 11:22 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 06:00:13PM -0400, Taylor Venable wrote:
> > Hi there, I just made the somewhat unfortunate decision to upgrade to
> > Ubuntu 10.10, where they decided to remove the .la files for
> > gdk-pixbuf. As a result, Rhythmbox 0.13.3 won't compile now. I don't
> > know much about how the libtool mechanism works, but installing
> > gdk-pixbuf from source into /usr/local didn't help things any, as the
> > compilation process still tries to use the packaged files in /usr/lib
> > (without the .la files). I also tried telling configure where to find
> > the pkg-config info for the gdk-pixbuf I installed into /usr/local but
> > it made no difference. I'd appreciate any guidance on how to get
> > around this, although I know supporting every single distro isn't what
> > you guys want to be doing.
> >

> This generally means there are .la files somewhere in /usr/lib or
> /usr/local/lib trying to reference gdk-pixbuf.la

A command that should find these is:
find /usr/lib* /usr/local/lib* -name '*.la' -exec grep -l gdk-pixbuf.la {} \;

If you find a file like this, you can manually edit it, and replace e.g.
"/usr/lib64/libgdk-pixbuf.la" with "-lgdk-pixbuf"

But there's another possibility you should check first:

If you're doing a new build in the same source directory of Rhythmbox as
you used before with the older Ubuntu version, you should ensure you run
a 'make clean' to get rid of any stale .la files in the Rhythmbox build
directory.

These files (from internal Rhythmbox helper libraries) might still be
referencing the old system la files; if you do a clean build, they will
be remade and should work fine.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin walton kepstin ca>