Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Compiling without libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 17:27, Calvin Walton <calvin walton kepstin ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 11:22 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 06:00:13PM -0400, Taylor Venable wrote:
>> > Hi there, I just made the somewhat unfortunate decision to upgrade to
>> > Ubuntu 10.10, where they decided to remove the .la files for
>> > gdk-pixbuf. As a result, Rhythmbox 0.13.3 won't compile now. I don't
>> > know much about how the libtool mechanism works, but installing
>> > gdk-pixbuf from source into /usr/local didn't help things any, as the
>> > compilation process still tries to use the packaged files in /usr/lib
>> > (without the .la files). I also tried telling configure where to find
>> > the pkg-config info for the gdk-pixbuf I installed into /usr/local but
>> > it made no difference. I'd appreciate any guidance on how to get
>> > around this, although I know supporting every single distro isn't what
>> > you guys want to be doing.
>> >

>> This generally means there are .la files somewhere in /usr/lib or
>> /usr/local/lib trying to reference gdk-pixbuf.la
>
> A command that should find these is:
> find /usr/lib* /usr/local/lib* -name '*.la' -exec grep -l gdk-pixbuf.la {} \;
>
> If you find a file like this, you can manually edit it, and replace e.g.
> "/usr/lib64/libgdk-pixbuf.la" with "-lgdk-pixbuf"
>
> But there's another possibility you should check first:
>
> If you're doing a new build in the same source directory of Rhythmbox as
> you used before with the older Ubuntu version, you should ensure you run
> a 'make clean' to get rid of any stale .la files in the Rhythmbox build
> directory.
>
> These files (from internal Rhythmbox helper libraries) might still be
> referencing the old system la files; if you do a clean build, they will
> be remade and should work fine.

Thanks both for the pointers. As it turned out, I had some time ago
updated (into /usr/local) the gnome-media package which referenced the
system gdk-pixbuf from its .la file. So I had to install a new version
of that to use the new gdk-pixbuf that I just built or else libtool
would try to use the system gdk-pixbuf (and complain when it couldn't
find the .la file). Or at least that's what it looked like was
happening; but anyway, compiling a new gnome-media package made
Rhythmbox build again.

--
Taylor C. Venable
http://metasyntax.net/