Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Getting started with plugin development in Eclipse

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 21:34, Andrew Hill <curly drew gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to create a simple plugin for Rhythmbox. I am a competent (graduate software dev.) Java developer, and although new to Python I have a working back end of the plugin (sends a string via sockets - extremely simple).

Welcome. I personally prefer Python over Java, but you will see you can do the same thing in any language.

While following the information here; http://live.gnome.org/RhythmboxPlugins/WritingGuide I came a bit unstuck. The problem is in Eclipse; while the rb import is okay, any reference to rb.Plugin has the warning "Undefined variable from import: Plugin". The only source reference I have added is to /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins. I suspect that I am missing an import or something similar, although I don't know what it might be or how to find out,

What do you mean by Eclipse? Are you using the Eclipse IDE to develop your plugin? The thing is, it won't work the way you are used in Java. Rhythmbox python interface is not written in Python, but in C, so Eclipse won't be able to do autocomplete or correction in the code. So Eclipse will point you errors like that, but they doesnt exist.
We usually develop using simple text editors (like Gedit) and use Rhythmbox to correct errors, running it with debugging enabled (in the same page you pointed out there is instructions for that).

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Regards,
Alexandre