Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox 0.13.1 released

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Jamie Nicol <jamie thenicols net> wrote:
> For what it's worth, I also preferred the old behavior. I generally sort my
> tracks by the album column, but only very rarely do I want to typeahead
> search by album. It would be great if it were possible to intuitively let
> people search whatever column they want, but as it is I find the new
> behaviour far less intuitive than simply searching titles.

I agree.

> I think I have a reasonable justification for this too. Generally if I'm to
> search for a title I will know specifically the song I want, so will use
> typeahead search in the entry view. But when searching a genre, artist or
> album I am probably not certain of the exact song I want. So searching in
> the browser or the search bar makes more sense as I will then be shown a
> list of matching tracks to choose from

Yes!

For me, my use case is a bit different. I always have the search
criteria on "All". However, it is very common for me to have a
situation like this:

(1) The proper artist name I want to play songs from is "Foo Bar".
(2) For most of the songs I want to listen to, "Bar" is a uniquely
identifying substring of the artist name that I want to listen to, so
all of that artist's songs come up.
(3) Some of the sources I got the tracks from were lazy and only
entered "Bar" as the artist name, instead of "Foo Bar". I want these
to show up in the results, too.
(4) There are also some songs where the artist name tag in the mp3 is
not *exactly* "Foo Bar"; for instance, "Foo Bar (feat. Baz)", or "Foo
Bar & the Bazzies". I *want* these songs to show up in the list; I
*don't* want to put them in a play queue; I just want the search
results to limit the songs that are being played. Then I'll either
shuffle these songs or put them on repeat and listen to them straight
through. If I simply clicked on the artist's proper name in the list,
these results would not show up.
(5) To take it a step further, there are also some songs by a
completely different artist, where the song title has "(feat. Foo
Bar)" in it. I want these to show up, too! And they do -- with 0.13.0
and earlier.

I really don't think the sort column should in any way be related to
what column(s) are being searched for results. These are two,
completely orthogonal issues. Attempting to relate them needlessly
reduces the flexibility of the program, without improving usability
whatsoever. 99.9% of the time, if I have Rhythmbox open, then I have a
search term in the search box, and am happily listening to the results
of the search across all the columns, which almost never contains
tracks I don't want, and always contains the tracks I do want.

Oh well; I will just revert the commits that did this in my local tree
and rebuild...

-Sean